Full Time Early Childhood Teacher , 2019-20
FolkSoul Farm is a community-supported organic farm and holistic education center located on a beautiful organic farm in Ashland, Oregon. FolkSoul Farm is currently seeking a full-time Early Childhood Lead Teacher for the 2019-2020 school year.
Our ideal candidate will be able to teach a blended learning model of Waldorf education combined with daily wilderness experiences in a sustainable organic farm setting. The Early Childhood Lead Teacher must be able to flow in and out of indoor and outdoor spaces, be open to innovative curriculum and pedagogy, embrace a growth mindset, be receptive to feedback, and enjoy working collaboratively with other faculty and administrators to create an educational environment that is aligned with the school’s mission and program goals.
We are looking for a teacher who brings joy and gratitude to their work. Candidates should be friendly, open, and well-spoken, grounded in Anthroposophy, and must hold a bachelor’s degree or equivalent. A Waldorf teaching certificate or current enrollment in a Waldorf teacher training program is preferred.
Candidates will also demonstrate:
- Commitment to Waldorf education in the form of professional training, experience, or extensive self-study.
- Able to work in a predominantly outdoor farm and nature-based program, and an ability to cultivate students’ love of the environment.
- Able to hold a group of 10 children between the ages of 2 to 6
- Comfort being immersed in nature in all weather, and an ability to cultivate students' love of the environment.
- Willingness to contribute to a collaborative faculty and participate in building a young educational program.
- Commitment to child-centered education and flexibility to incorporate tools and ideas outside the traditional definitions of "Waldorf" when the students' needs indicate.
- Training, experience, and/or extensive self-study related to the Waldorf curriculum and approach.
- Love of children and teaching, empathetic disposition, and ability to think outside the box in a “student-centered” program.
- Excellent communication skills, both with colleagues and children, and the physical strength and stamina to hike with a backpack, carry children, etc.
- Proficiency in a second language is strongly preferred.
Teaching hours are 8:30 a.m. to 3:15 p.m. Monday through Thursday with festivals and community events happening some Fridays. There is an additional opportunity to create an Aftercare offering from 3:15- 5pm Mon through Thursday and Friday half-day offering from 9 a.m. to 1:15 p.m.
FolkSoul Farm strives to serve as a model for social and ecological renewal and educational excellence, seeking to act in increasingly creative, collaborative and intentional ways while integrating a diverse community of children, families, and mentors.
Our majestic town of Ashland Oregon offers four delightful seasons, proximity to both wilderness and major cities, and at the same time a comfortable small-town feeling. Because of our popularity as a summer-time destination, Ashland offers many world class cultural events, including the Shakespeare Festival. We have a thriving music and theater life, restaurants, shops and community events. Our amazing local “three rivers” water system offers rafting, kayaking, and swimming for water enthusiasts, and the meeting of the Cascade and Siskiyou Mountains offers numerous spectacular hiking opportunities, including access to many high peaks and the Pacific Crest Trail. We are less than two hours from the Oregon and California coasts, the redwoods, Mt. Shasta, and Crater Lake, and four hours from the dynamic metropolitan area of Portland.
FolkSoul Farm faculty enjoy competitive salaries including support for professional development and tuition remission for enrolled children.
All qualified candidates are encouraged to apply. FolkSoul Farm is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, creed, gender, family structure or ability. We actively promote diversity and equality, respect, understanding, and celebration of differences. FolkSoul Farm is a Child Protection school and conducts rigorous background checks before hiring any individual. All positions of employment are dependent on comprehensive criminal and professional background checks.
To apply, please send your letter of interest, resume and list of references